SquashBusters is a 27-year-old sports-based youth development program that uses a combination of squash, fitness, academic support and enrichment, community service, and mentoring to improve the lives of youth in Boston, Lawrence, and Providence. SquashBusters’ mission is to challenge and nurture youth in these cities – as students, athletes, and citizens – so that they can recognize and fulfill their greatest potential in life.
The Academic Coordinator is responsible for planning and running homework help sessions, team building activities and academic enrichment sessions for SquashBusters (SQB) students as well as special programming including community service outings and field trips. Additionally, the Academic Coordinator will also be responsible for driving students to and from practices, special programming, and other special events. As a member of the program team, they will collaborate with the Program Director and all program staff to ensure an integrated approach to SQB academic, sport and character development programs.
SquashBusters Lawrence currently runs the majority of its programming out of Brooks School in North Andover. We are excited to share that we’ve recently broken ground on a new facility set to open in the city of Lawrence in fall 2024!
We are currently hiring for one Middle School Academic Coordinator and one High School Academic Coordinator in Lawrence, MA.
Program Delivery: Day-to-Day
- Plan, supervise and direct daily homework help sessions to support students’ schoolwork.
- Plan, supervise and direct impactful and innovative academic enrichment, team building, and leadership activities.
- Ensure a productive and positive environment at SQB by managing student behavior and consistently instilling SQB values.
- Build transformative relationships with students, providing individual feedback and support.
- Manage academic volunteers during homework and academic enrichment sessions.
- Meet with both academic and squash colleagues to develop an integrated approach to work with students.
- Monitor students’ progress in school by communicating regularly with school staff to determine the best ways that SQB can support a student’s success.
- Communicate with parents/guardians to ensure that necessary forms and paperwork are complete and so they are aware of their child’s progress, feel like part of the SQB community and can support their child’s growth and development at home.
- Recruit or assist in recruiting students for SQB program as needed.
Special Event Management
- Recruit, coordinate, and implement summer session program.
- Help students connect to appropriate opportunities such as external summer camps, SAT prep, and employment.
- Identity, organize and participate in community service projects and field trips, including on some Saturdays during the year. Chaperone/drive students for squash events as needed.
- Identify and organize workshops or guest speakers on relevant topics throughout the year.
- Collect and update paperwork for students such as parent/guardian contracts, physicals, report cards and program fees and update these details as well as daily attendance in Salesforce database.
- Drive students as needed to and from practices, tournaments, matches, camps, and other events.
- Manage classroom supplies, daily snacks, and electronic documentation of session plans.
- Plan general weekly/monthly schedule with colleagues and keep appropriate calendars updated.
Qualifications: While no one person will embody all of the qualities enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences.
- Bachelors or Associates degree or relevant experience
- Valid driver’s license (required) with a clean driving record, and a willingness to drive a 14-passenger van (training provided)
- Ability to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment; self-motivated and proactive
- Reliable, responsible, disciplined, self-reflective, and open to receiving and giving feedback
- Strong teamwork, organization, communication, and group facilitation skills
- High energy and willingness to “roll up sleeves” to execute on day-to-day activities
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from a variety of backgrounds and comfort communicating with family members who primarily speak languages other than English
- Spanish language proficiency and prior recent participation in formal diversity training, a plus
- Regular night and weekend hours: ability to regularly work until 7:00 P.M 3-4 days of the week during the school year, as well as weekends 2-3 times per month during the school year
- Annual salary, starting in the mid 40’s, commensurate with experience
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Generous paid time off and company holiday schedule
- Subsidized health, dental, and vision insurance offered
- Life insurance, disability insurance, cell phone and public transportation subsidies available
SquashBusters is an equal opportunity employer and strives to reflect the diverse community it serves. SquashBusters is committed to promoting diversity and inclusion and looks to all its staff members to foster and promote its values. We believe in an intersectional approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where all of the various forms of oppression are addressed, challenged, and dismantled. Our primary focus is on racism because we live in a society that is so resistant to, and uncomfortable with, discussions of racism.