The Academic Coordinator is responsible for planning and running homework help sessions, team building activities and academic enrichment sessions for SquashBusters (SQB) students in grades 6, 7, and 8. Additionally, the Academic Coordinator plans and runs special programming including community service outings, field trips and summer activities. As a member of the program team, the Academic Coordinator will collaborate with the Program Director, Academic Manager, and all program staff to ensure an integrated approach to SQB academic, sport and character development programs. Through these programs, the program staff will challenge and nurture SQB youth so that they recognize and fulfill their potential.
At the heart of SQB’s mission is the power of transformative relationships. SQB staff helps SQB students discover who they are, cultivate the abilities they need to shape their own lives and learn how to engage with and contribute to the world around them. SQB staff work as a team in a professional, supportive, and respectful manner, and they represent and advocate for SQB in the community at large.
Reports to: Academic Manager
Program Delivery: Day-to-Day
- Plan, supervise and direct daily homework help sessions to support students’ schoolwork.
- Plan, supervise and direct impactful and innovative Academic Enrichment activities.
- Plan, supervise and direct team building and leadership activities.
- Ensure a productive and positive environment at SQB by managing student behavior and consistently instilling SQB values.
- Provide students with individual feedback on their progress and develop and implement academic success plans/student contracts as needed.
- Complete all daily, weekly, and seasonal administrative tasks in a timely and accurate manner.
- Drive students to and from practice.
- Monitor students’ progress in school by communicating regularly with school staff to determine the best ways that SQB can support a student’s success.
- Communicate with parents/guardians so that they are aware of their child’s progress, feel like part of the SQB community and can support their child’s growth and development at home.
- Recruit or assist in recruiting students for SQB program as needed but especially during our intensive fall recruitment drives.
- Work on special projects as determined by organization-wide strategic imperative.
Special Event Management
- Assist with recruitment, coordination, and implementation of summer program.
- Help students connect to appropriate opportunities such as external summer camps, SAT prep, and employment opportunities.
- Lead the 8th grade High School Choice Process. i.e. communicate with families, schedule family meetings and support students as they choose their top schools.
- Identify, organize, and participate in community service projects and field trips, including on some Saturdays during the year.
- With colleagues, organize and participate in overnight trips for appropriate grade levels. Chaperone/drive students for squash and other events as needed. Occasionally will occur on one or both days of the weekend.
Qualifications, Experience and Core Competencies
While no one person will embody all the qualities enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences.
- Demonstrated experience in and enthusiasm for youth development and helping students progress towards personal and academic goals by developing trusting relationships with them and their families.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree or relevant experience.
- Valid driver’s license with clean record (required—minor infractions excluded) and willingness to drive a 14-passenger van (training provided).
- Ability to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-motivated and proactive, willing to “roll up sleeves” to execute on day-to-day activities.
- Spanish language proficiency a plus.
- Prior recent participation in formal diversity training.
- Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (subject to applicable laws).
- Annual salary between $42-$44K commensurate with experience.
- Retirement plan with employer matching.
- 26.5 paid company holidays and days off plus an additional 20 vacation days (with some restrictions).
- Subsidized health insurance and unsubsidized dental insurance offered.
- Free Employee Assistance Program, a cell phone subsidy, and a public transportation subsidy available.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to: Rodney Galvao, Program Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Bianca Camacho, Academic Manager, email@example.com with the subject line: Academic Coordinator.
SquashBusters is an equal opportunity employer and strives to reflect the diverse community it serves. SquashBusters is committed to promoting diversity and inclusion and looks to all its staff members to foster and promote its values. We believe in an intersectional approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where all of the various forms of oppression are addressed, challenged, and dismantled. Our primary focus is on racism because we live in a society that is so resistant to, and uncomfortable with, discussions of racism.