The Chief Program & Strategy Officer (CPSO) is a senior management position and part of the Executive Team comprised of the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and Director of Institutional Advancement. The CPSO is responsible for identifying, designing, overseeing and measuring the student and alumni experiences that advance SquashBusters’ mission in the most impactful and sustainable way. The CPSO leads a team of director-level managers who oversees the five main areas of SQB’s programmatic portfolio: The three program sites (Boston, Lawrence and Providence), the Post-Secondary & Career Services function, and Program Operations & Strategy.
Reports to: CEO
Supervisory Responsibility: Direct – 5-6, Indirect – 18-20
Budget: $2.7m (out of $3.5m org-wide budget)
- Develop and implement SQB’s overall program
- Develop, ensure implementation, and support the use of systems that facilitate smooth work flow, equitable and efficient work allocation, quality control, operational support, monitoring and evaluation, and communication within and among program functions as well as other SQB
- Together with Executive Team and Program Directors, establish and monitor progress against program and organizational metrics and milestones.
- Take responsibility for overall work quality and integration of learning and best
- Ensure resources are available to support
- Create a culture that values initiative, rigor, innovation, compassion and self-reflection.
- Develop an inclusive strategic plan and strategy by collaborating with the leadership team, board, and
- Collaborate with CFO to develop a funding plan in line with the
- Identify strategic risks and mitigation solutions
- Continuously evaluate current plans to ensure maximum impact and design adjustments where/when
- Management of direct staff (and oversight of indirect staff) including work performance, evaluation, and professional
- Train and mentor Program Directors on development of program strategy, program management, and project-level management of Program Staff; ensure resources are available and utilized to develop strong technical leadership for each program
- Lead development of organizational strategy together with SQB’s executive leadership team, including the development of organization-wide and department annual goals, strategies, and desired outcomes, along with the development of corresponding
- Build effective working relationships with key outside stakeholders, including strategic partners, board members and donors both directly and in support of the
- Present Program Management Reports to the Board of Directors and/or Board
- Each program area has met or exceeded target key performance indicators and is aligned with the organization’s overall mission, strategy, and
- Drive cost per student
- Maximize utilization of facility and other resources to increase student
- Development of 4-year Program Strategy and related indicators of
- Programs have processes for indicator measurement and
- Strategic utilization of professional development opportunities by program
- Retention of high performing
- Exceptional leadership, people management and communication skills. Demonstrated high energy and proactive style with a track record of success in actively managing professionals and programs. Ability to lead, motivate, and direct groups and individuals.
- Inclined to coach and teach in order to improve knowledge and ability of others, holds people accountable for results, and creates a work environment recognized for a high level of results for its young
- An innovator, capable of creating or seizing opportunities to improve program effectiveness and student outcomes and build strategic partnerships with other organizations.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion; valuing a diversity of perspectives and encouraging contributions by all team
- Business “literate,” understands financial reports, applies data to assess business effectiveness and efficiency, and acts in a fiscally responsible
- Ability to collaborate effectively with people at all levels of the organization, including management, program staff, administrative support staff, board members, donors, contractors, and outside
- Capacity to oversee programs and professional program staff located in multiple locations, including the ability to be physically present for observations and key
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and non-verbal. Superior public speaking skills with an ability to make and use distinctions as to types, frequency, tenor and levels of communications, depending upon circumstances, audience, recipient, and content.
- Demonstrated commitment to SQB’s core
- Strong software skills; proven ability to proficiently use Microsoft Office apps and G-Suite. Ability to quickly learn new technologies relevant to SQB’s work environment.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate level degree
- 8-10 years years of progressive management experience; experience with program planning and
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas strongly desired: sports-based or other youth development, nonprofit management; and/or leadership development.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Annual salary commensurate with experience
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- 5 paid company holidays and days off plus an additional 20 vacation days (with some restrictions)
- Subsidized health insurance and unsubsidized dental insurance available
- Free Employee Assistance Program, a cell phone subsidy, and a public transportation subsidy available
SquashBusters is an equal opportunity employer and strives to reflect the diverse community it serves. SquashBusters is committed to promoting diversity and inclusion and looks to all its staff members to foster and promote its values. We believe in an intersectional approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where all of the various forms of oppression are addressed, challenged, and dismantled. Our primary focus is on racism because we live in a society that is so resistant to, and uncomfortable with, discussions of racism.
Please email a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Chief Program and Strategy Officer.
SquashBusters is an equal opportunity employer and strives to reflect the diverse community it serves.