Your support of our program helps to improve the lives of hundreds of young people – by building their confidence, improving their health and expanding their educational opportunity.Make A Gift >
College Access & Success
The centerpiece of the SquashBusters program is college access and success. By supporting each student until his or her college graduation day, we help them beat the odds and become role models for the generations of SquashBusters to come.
SquashBusters middle school students attend practice three times per week to develop the skills that will help them succeed in college. Our students also benefit from early and frequent exposure to higher education and students in each grade level visit colleges for campus tours and competitions. As a result, they develop college-going identities and ambitions.
- 90 minutes of homework support, 2 days per week, for 33 weeks of the school year
- Advising for all 8th-graders to help them gain acceptance to great high schools
- College visits for all students to schools like Bates College, Boston College, MIT, UMass, and more
- Early development of a college-going identity – students are surrounded by college graduates, and Boston students practice and study each day on the campus of Northeastern University
Like our middle school students, SquashBusters high school students practice squash and receive homework support 3-5 days per week, but they are also provided with enrichment workshops that focus on topics like academic skill-building, and career exploration. Each student receives intensive support throughout the entire college application process. From identifying potential schools to securing a generous financial aid package, SquashBusters staff and volunteer college mentors are there each step of the way.
- 1 hour of homework support, 2 days per week, for 33 weeks of the school year
- 1 hour of college-readiness workshops, 2 days per week, for 33 weeks of the school year
- SAT prep and practice exams
- One-on-one college mentors for every high school senior
- Extensive support with college applications and financial aid for seniors and their families
- Multiple college visits for every student in every grade
The ultimate goal of SquashBusters’ program is to ensure that every student enrolls in college – but also that every student graduates college. In 2015-2016, SquashBusters launched a robust college success program to ensure that our students are on track to complete their degrees and take on the world.
- Regular check-ins from SQB staff to ensure students are on track to graduate
- Assistance from SQB staff with any obstacles such as financial aid or the need to transfer
- $75,000 worth of scholarship opportunities through the Engaged Scholars Award and Last Dollar Fund
- Professional development opportunities and networking events through SquashBusters and the National Urban Squash and Education Association (NUSEA)